Easter weekend trouble bubbles up to the surface

It was a busy Easter weekend for Sarnia Police and it had nothing to do with bunnies or chocolate or the trappings of one of the biggest Christian celebrations of the year.

The action began on Thursday evening (March 28) when police were called to a business in the 800 block of Exmouth Street. Reports of a shoplifter lead to the arrest of a 21-year-old Sarnia man, who now faces charges of possession of hydromorphone, two counts of breach of probation and theft under $5,000. He will appear in a Sarnia court on April 29.

The next day, Good Friday, Sarnia Police arrested another 21-year-old man, also from Sarnia, after the man fled police after seeing the cruiser. The man was discovered lying on the ground in the back yard of a Stuart Street residence and is alleged to have injected himself with an unknown substance. He was also found to be carrying a knife, two steak knives and another used syringe with blood on it.

That man, who police took to hospital as a precaution, faces charges of trespass by night, weapons dangerous, possession of methamphetamine, breach of recognizance and three counts of breach of probation. The accused faces a bail hearing.

The same day (Friday, March 29), around 5 a.m., a 53-year-old Sarnia man was seen entering a business in the 200 block of South Indian Road. Police say the same man had been involving in a trespassing incident a week earlier. In the latest incident, the man is said to have approached a female employee, who asked him to leave. He refused and the employee called police. On their arrival, the man was said to be screaming at the employee. He eventually was subdued after refusing to comply with police orders and was taken to hospital for observation.

Two days later, police arrested the man for utter threats to cause death and he was taken to police headquarters for processing.

Two noise complaints, one on Saturday around 3:30 a.m. and another on Sunday around 6:30 a.m., also received the attention of Sarnia Police.

In the first incident, which occurred in the 300 block of North Russell Street, loud music was the catalyst. When police arrived, tenants said one of their fellow residents had threatened them. Police subsequently arrested the woman who had allegedly made the threat and who now faces two charges of utter threats to cause bodily harm. She is going for a bail hearing.

In the second incident, Sarnia Police say a 6:30 a.m. Sunday morning incident in the 800 block of Devine Street (again, loud music being the spark) lead to the arrest of a 20-year-old accused of punching a 23-year-old in the face. The accused faces one count of assault and was released on a promise to appear.

Get the Lambton Shield Daily Brief in your inbox:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.