Iconic engineering firm changes hands

MIG, 60 years in business locally, is now owned by Devin Johnson

New MIG Engineering owner Devin Johnson, left, is pictured with previous owner Marty Raaymakers, who has now retired.

After a nearly 60-year run in the community where it was first established, MIG Engineering has a new owner.

Devin Johnson, a professional engineer who began his education at Lambton College before earning his mechanical engineering degree at Thunder Bay’s Lakehead University, has returned to the firm where he first worked as a coop student.

Following his graduation from Lakehead, Johnson worked for about 15 years in Calgary, making the decision to return to Sarnia in 2014, when he joined MIG.

As of December 20, Johnson became the new owner of the firm on the retirement of Marty Raaymakers, who had become a shareholder in 1991. Raaymakers became president after the 2007 death of Bill Graham. Raaymakers became sole owner in 2011.

MIG will celebrate its 60th anniversary in May 2019.

MIG Engineering’s history dates back to C.E. Jones, a professional engineer and surveyor in 1910. J.C. Monteith, who was a professional engineer and surveyor, articled under Jones and was the father of one of Monteith-Ingram’s founders, James A. Monteith, who was considered an icon in the drainage industry and one of two engineers that drafted the Ontario Municipal Drainage Act, still considered to be one of Ontario’s most influential pieces of legislation.

In 1928, J.C. Monteith became Lambton County Engineer and worked during the time that the County took public ownership of the then-private Plank Road, converting it from its original oak wooden base to pavement. Plank Road was Ontario’s last toll road until Highway 407 was built.

Monteith was also famous for having drained Lake Wawanosh in the former Sarnia Township and Lake Smith in Lambton Shores.

His son, James, who had met Gary Ingram in New Zealand, eventually formed Monteith-Ingram Engineering in 1959—now considered the launch of what is now MIG.

It was the late Bill Graham, CEO starting in 1985, that provided the last initial of the company.

Notable projects from the 1980s include construction management of the Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport terminal and runways, flue gas site work at the Lambton Generating Station, and the 300,000-square-foot Waterville TG plant in Watford.

It has coordinated major expansion to Sarnia-Lambton industrial sites, transportation corridors and many municipal projects.

Many of the firm’s biggest clients have worked with MIG for decades, with some involved since its inception.

A more detailed story about MIG will appear in the March 2019 print edition of Lambton Shield.

Get the Lambton Shield Daily Brief in your inbox:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.