Lambton OPP says it is taking a proactive approach to crime prevention through education and enforcement.
"Crime Prevention week is a great opportunity to raise awareness about safety and security around your home. Homeowners can help deter crime by properly maintaining and caring for your property," according to a media release.
The OPP offers several tips to help, including:
- Check the lighting around your home. Use motion sensors in areas where you require extra lighting to monitor your property.
- Lock your garages and outbuildings to make it harder for would-be thieves to gain access.
- Trim shrubs and trees to minimize areas for criminals to hide.
- Always lock your windows and doors.
- Do not leave keys hidden in obvious areas outside of your home.
- If you will be away for an extended period of time, consider using automatic timers on lights in various parts of the house.
- Take steps to make your residence looks lived-in. Have someone pick up the mail, clear the driveway and check the residence regularly while you are away.
- Don’t be an easy target. Evaluate your property to see what steps you can take to make it less attractive to criminals.
For more information on home security and the OPP SafeGuard Ontario Property Security Program visit the OPP website at