Sarnia Sting loses to Mississauga Steelheads in overtime

The Sting were 1/7 on the man advantage and 1/2 on the penalty kill

The Sarnia Sting were edged by the Mississauga Steelheads on Sunday afternoon, falling 3-2 in overtime. With the overtime loss, the Sting earned a much needed point to cut the Firebirds lead for 7th in the Western Conference to 4 points.

Aidan Hughes got the call in goal for the Sting, turning aside 26 of the 29 shots he faced in the loss. Matthew Mancina got the start at the other end of the ice for the Steelheads, as he turned aside 30 of 32 shots against in the victory.

Jaden Lindo got things started early for the Sting, scoring his 20th goal of the season unassisted just 37 seconds into the game. Owen Tippett responded for the Steelheads at 3:23 in the first period, scoring his 42nd goal of the season to even the score at 1 goal a piece.

Just 30 seconds into the 2nd period, Jacob Cascagnette scored his 19th goal of the season on the power play to give the Steelheads a 2-1 lead. At 14:08, Drake Rymsha evened the score once again for the Sting, burying a rebound on the power play for this 30th goal of the season. Jordan Kyrou and Jeff King assisted on the goal.

Despite the Sting going on the power play three times in the 3rd period, regulation could solve nothing and the two teams headed to overtime tied 2-2. Mancina stood tall for the Steelheads in overtime, stopping both Anthony Salinitri and Jordan Kyrou on breakaways before Nicolas Hague scored with 0.7 seconds left on the clock to win it for the Steelheads.


  • Jordan Kyrou extended his point streak to 27 games with an assist in the loss.
  • The Sting were 1/7 on the man advantage and 1/2 on the penalty kill.
  • Drake Rymsha scored his 30th goal of the season, and has now scored in 3 straight games.
  • Nick Grima played in his 100th OHL game on Sunday afternoon.

Get the Lambton Shield Daily Brief in your inbox:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.