Unattended cooking blamed for two city fires Monday

Sarnia Fire Rescue Service is blaming unattended cooking as the cause of two separate fires on Monday, one in the 200 block of Elgin Street and a second in the 100 block of College Ave. North.

In the Elgin Street incident, a tenant in the upper floor of the triplex had called 911 at about 11:40 a.m. to report a fire in his unit. The tenant also warned two girls in a lower unit to leave the building. They were not injured in the blaze.

Some 15 firefighters from three stations responded, finding smoke pouring from the upper unit. They managed to contain the fire to the kitchen of that unit.

The man living in the upper unit was treated at hospital for smoke inhalation.

Damage to the house and contents is estimated at $65,000.

In the College Ave. N. fire, which was called in about 3 p.m. the same day, a similar complement of firefighters responded. In that fire, smoke was coming from the upper portion of the two-storey wood-framed house.

Fire officials say the fire was contained to the kitchen area of the upper floor unit of the duplex, with smoke and heat damage to the rest of the house.

A male occupant of the upper unit, where the fire started, was taken to hospital with burns to his hands and arms. No one was home in the lower unit.

Damage to the College Ave. N. house and contents is estimated to be about $40,000.

Get the Lambton Shield Daily Brief in your inbox:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.