Not a good hockey weekend for Wallaceburg

Local minor hockey sees three shutouts and all against the same team

The Dresden Kings are first in the division but Lakeshore and Amherstberg are nipping at their heels

The Dresden Kings picked up another win to stay in first place in the division, but another team would just as soon forget this weekend, and that is the Wallaceburg Lakers.  The Lakers played three games over the weekend and did not score a single point in any of them.

The weekend started on Thursday night with the Petrolia Flyers taking on the Wallaceburg Lakers at the Greenwood Recreation Center in Petrolia.  The Flyers would open things up in the first with a goal from Kole Keating, then assist in the second period with on a goal from Zack VanEyk, who got the assist on Keating’s goal.  Tempers flared near the end of the second period as Zachery Hartig of the Lakers would get into it with Clay Dolbear of the Flyers and both would get tossed from the game.  Petrolia would get two more before the end of the game and Keating would pick up his second assist on the night as Petrolia would shut out Wallaceburg 4-0.

Wallaceburg would travel to the Atlas Centre to face the Lakeshore Canadiens on Friday night and they really did not do any better against the second place Canadiens.  If the Lakers thought Travis Moore had a tough time of it in net against Petrolia, well things were not much better for Patrick Timpany as Lakeshore would start things off in the first period with a goal from Matt Smith.  Jarrett Tazzman would put one in the net for the Canadiens in the second period, his first of two on the night.  The third period was total domination by Lakeshore as the Canadiens would turn on the red light four times in the period.  Tazzman would get his second of the night in the barrage of pucks that literally attacked TImpany.  Give credit to the Lakers, they kept their cool and no penalties were called in the entire game.  Lakeshore shuts out Wallaceburg 6-0.

The division had a night off on Saturday but were back at it on Sunday with Wallaceburg going into the UCCUC Arena in Amherstburg to play the Admirals.  The Lakers were hoping to salvage something from the weekend but unfortunately, that did not happen.  A three-goal first period for the Admirals which saw Zack Yott get two goals.  A six-goal second period where Ryan Alexander would get his first of two on the night and then two more in the third, in which Alexander would get his second goal and Amherstburg would destroy Wallaceburg 11-0.  The Lakers have only managed three wins so far this season and have six points.

The other Sunday night game had the Wheatley Sharks going into Blenheim to face the Blades. A great night for Wheatley’s Alixe Saliba as he would start things off with the lone goal of the first period for the Sharks.  This would then lead to Saliba getting the first goal of the second period just fifteen seconds into the frame on the powerplay, giving him two on the night and hunting for that treasured third.  Blenheim would answer less than two minutes later with a goal from Christian Moccia.  Cam Pickersgill would hit twine for the Sharks, but Bryce Broad would come back for the Blades with the answering goal on the powerplay.  Wheatley would get into penalty troubles as they would get three penalties in a matter of three and a half minutes.  But that really did not phase the Sharks as Saliba would get the hat trick on a short-handed goal and then Cole Butler would also get one shorthanded.  Midway through the third Ethan Paxton of Blenheim would fight with Wheatley’s Steve MacDonald and that would have them both heading for the dressing room for the rest of the night.  Dawson Iles would add one more for the Sharks before the end of a 6-2 win for Wheatley.

Wheatley would be back in action Monday night hosting Lakeshore.  This was not as easy a night for the Sharks as it was on Sunday night.  Tight hockey with a scoreless first period but in the second Dyan Bradley of the Canadiens picked up a loose puck and fired it home to the unassisted goal to get things started for Lakeshore.  Wheatley would get two goals in the third within the first three minutes to take the lead but Jarrett Tazzman would tie things up before the end of the game and send it into overtime.  Colin Sartor would get the game winner at 4:51 of overtime.

Lakeshore now trails Dresden by one point and sits in second spot in the division standings. The Admirals are in third spot followed by a team usually seen at the top of the heap, that being the Essex 73’s.

Get the Lambton Shield Daily Brief in your inbox:

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.